I'm a DIY loving stay at home Mum living in Saskatchewan Canada.
I love to cook and bake, decorate my home, repurpose old treasures, and create beautiful birthdays for my 3 beautiful girls!

Dresser turned kitchen hutch

We are constantly watching for "ugly" furniture on the local used sites. Paint and new hardware can turn an ugly piece into a stunning one! We were driving home one night through our neighborhood and saw a sign for a moving sale. My husband suggested we stop and see if they had any old dressers as we were on the hunt for a kitchen hutch for so long. We wanted something with doors AND drawers. The moving sale happened to have this one for sale and I think we paid 20$.

I primed the whole thing with a high quality primer, then did 2 coats of CIL furniture paint. We invested in good hardware and spent about 100$ on it. I hated the front trim on the bottom of the dresser so my husband pulled it off and simply replaced it with a cheap piece of baseboard in the proper height and cut to size. I didn't fill or repair any gouges, just the deep scratches. I don't mind gouges. I think they add character.




The finished product! I had a vision when we bought this house.. It was a hutch just like this with a lamp on either end and a round mirror in the middle. It's finally starting to come together.



5 comments:

  1. OMGosh! Totally inspired! I've been wanting a buffet table/dresser but they're all $$$. Hopefully I can find a cheap dresser & do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove repurposing dressers! We have done SO many!! Our TV stand (which is my absolute favourite piece of furniture in the house) was a very ugly, retro dresser from the 70s! We repurposed it and turned it into an amaaazing media stand!

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late reply, Brittany!! We dealt with the flu at our house over the weekend!
      I made a blog post with pictures and details of the TV stand if you want to check it out!! :)
      http://onacoldday.blogspot.ca/2015/11/retro-dresser-turned-spray-painted-tv.html

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete