I'm a DIY loving stay at home Mum living in Saskatchewan Canada.
I love to cook and bake, decorate my home, repurpose old treasures, and create beautiful birthdays for my 3 beautiful girls!

Candy Apples





I love candy apples! My husband and I came up with the idea to do some cute homemade ones to give to our oldest daughter's teachers as Valentine's Day gifts last month so we gave it a try. The first attempt went... Okay.. I overcooked the coating and didn't use enough coloring. The color was a strange pink/gold. They were cute regardless and I think the teachers liked them!


So.. Round 2. It went much better! Overall, it's not hard to do and the end result is an exact match to the ones at the fair!

You will need:
  • 6 apples
  • Sticks (I use large lollipop style ones with a pointed end)
  • Parchment paper and a baking sheet (for finished apples)
  • Candy thermometer *Super important!!
  • Pot for making the candy (I use my dutch oven)
  • Measuring cups and spoons
  • A wooden spoon
  • Pot holders or oven mitts
  • Something to rest a hot pot on

Candy Coating Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon red food color (gel works best)


Combine your candy coating ingredients in your pot.You'll have to excuse the state of my dutch oven, it's been through a lot! ;)

1/2 cup corn syrup

3/4 cup water



2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon food coloring (I used the rest of my small container as it was almost empty)


Place the pot on medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and before the mixture boils.


Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil, STOP stirring and attach your candy thermometer. Make sure the bottom isn't touching the bottom of the pot! You won't need to stir it again. You'll let it simmer until 290 degrees Fahrenheit.



Meanwhile, wash and dry your apples. Insert a stick into each one in a way that the apples will stand upright.


Cover your baking sheet in parchment paper. I like to grease it as well, just because that's how I roll. Have your pot holders handy, and whatever you're resting the pot on as well.


As your candy starts to near 290 degrees Fahrenheit, the bubbles will look thicker and almost gelatinous.



Here you can see it's almost at 285 degrees Fahrenheit. The last 10-15 degrees goes VERY fast, so watch it close at this point to avoid overcooking or burning.

Once you've reached 290 degrees Fahrenheit, remove the pot from the heat immediately and set it on your work space. You'll want to (very carefully) tilt the pot to one side to make dipping your apples easier. Submerge the apple in the candy coating and swirl until it's completely covered. Work quickly, but don't hurt yourself! Lift and swirl a few times to let some excess candy drip off and place it onto your parchment covered baking sheet.



Cool in the fridge or at room temperature and enjoy your apples within 3 days! Wrap in a cute cellophane for gifts, decorate with different sprinkles for different occasions.. So many possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment